Need to beat 1500 guard with tau

Moderators: Selezen, cog[nitive]

Need to beat 1500 guard with tau

Postby Mitosis Metal » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:45 pm

Have been trying to beat this guy's guard for a while. He's a power gaming asshole that steels my paint and brushes and buys a baneblade when he owes me 60 bucks. But he always fields 2 platoons with 5 squads each plus the platoon HQs. All of his squads are armed with plasma guns and missle launchers(when he only has 2 missle launchers and 1 plasma gun modeled) and HQs with stormbolters. He also fields a Leman Russ, LR Demolisher with plasma cannon sponsons, and a Basilisk with indirect fire. He always packs his troops so close that I can never deep strike to hit the LR or Basilisk(they're always behind cover) and I can't get my fire warriors into range, even when I use Devilfishes, without them being blown to pieces or they run away. I can fare pretty well if i take 3 hammerheads(one's proxied) or 2 hammerheads and a team of 3 broadsides. If someone could give me some pointers againts guard that are always in area terrain and no matter what the mission just sit there and blow you up I'd appreciate it
Mitosis Metal
Best Fan

Postby Skinnattittar » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:18 pm

First, if he's BSing you on payment and pilfering your stuff, call him on his models, you'll lose a hammer head but he'll lose valuable fire support. Next, you HAVE to get your troops in with his as fast as possible to negate he templates, try to get on a map that has no linear fronts and hug cover to accomplish this. Tau aren't known for very good hand to hand, but it doesn't sound like you're using the shootiness of the Tau to effect. Whip out the rail guns to demolish his armor, they'be been pretty effective against mine. Flank and cover is pretty much a solid tactic, but don't group up or that artillery will chew threw your infantry.
Skinnattittar
Best Fan

Postby mad944 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:08 am

As the above guy said - call him up on what he owes you. Problem solved, sort of.

Or just get as many template/multishot weapons in as possible. Should be able to take out two halves of different squads a turn with this, forcing morale checks, and if you take out the commanders early on (dedicate one tank to this - the infantry is still a serious threat) then they won't have obscenely high leadership.
Wargaming should never be combined with your love life or a pot of honey.
mad944
Ultra Fan

Postby Dufflious » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:30 am

Again, call him on what he owes. If he's going to be a power-gamer then he'll have to call the bill. Keep your paints in a tin and your brushes with them.

I can't give you tips army wise but, if you're going in quick, use Kroot I'd say.

Rawr.

-D
Dufflious
Clan Mod

Postby Supersonik » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:30 pm

Yeah Kroot getting in close will make him think twice (use their shooting through cover rule to your benefit and then jump in his pants with them :))

It will also give you time to position your Fireing lines.
Personally id go with the Broadside team. That many railguns will make short work of his Russes (They cant hide behind cover, they need line of sight for their cannons) and the Demolisher only has short range (24") so Zip around it and blow it to hell.

He only has the Basilisk that can fire indirect so once the Russes are popped get in cover and hide within its minimum range. If your within 36" of the Basilisk then it cant fire indirectly. It will force him to move it out into the open to fire and thats when you pop its open topped ass.

Other than that its just alot of guys your mostly wounding on 2's and have a 5+ save.

What else do you have in your list besides your heavies? The mobility of the Tau means u should be able to pick out those infantry platoons and get back into cover denying him the return fire.

Wish i could think this tactically when im playing lol.
Supersonik
Bestest Fan

Postby ArchDuke of Macragge » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:44 pm

Honestly, I can't imagine playing a guy like that. If I were in your shoes I'd focus on ignoring him or getting your stuff back instead of playing him.
ArchDuke of Macragge
Ultra Fan

Postby Dufflious » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:50 am

Disclaimer - TSOALR and its moderators officially disagree with this suggestion - letting Dufflious out in public is forgoing any of your legal rights

I suggest VIOLENCE! :D

-D
Dufflious
Clan Mod

Return to 40K Gaming