[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4684: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3830)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4686: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3830)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4687: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3830)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3830)
TSOALR - The Forum » View topic - Tau - My thoughts.

Tau - My thoughts.

Info for Dawn of War players

Moderators: Selezen, cog[nitive], Dufflious

Tau - My thoughts.

Postby Dufflious » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:22 pm

Well, I am legend for the fact I will never ever use any other army than Marines.

But, for some reason, I tried Tau on campaign. Now, I am enjoying the challenge, but it is most certainly a challenge. The entire army needs to have a balance that must be upkept, because if it doesn't, you've got a squad of Orks in your Fire warriors and that's not good.

After a few hit and misses, I discovered the frankly -perverse- range of their guns, but I also noted that Fire Warriors on their own don't have that long Line of Sight, so playing around with the units I noted that, for a basic set up, I liked to get two squads of Fire Warriors, both with two of the leadery folk, as I found the Shield Drones a waste of time. A squad of 10 Kroot and a squad of Path Finders. This is basically all you need to hold the first waves of anything until they start to get vehicles.

Sadly I note Tau have a lack of anything to cope against Vehicles, I mean they have the Crisis suits and what have you but they don't really pack enough punch per shot, and at 3 pop cap a piece, it's generally not worth the effort. However I usually have one or two lined behind my fire warriors, and even then they're too dense to shoot what they're supposed to, so don't be suprised if you end up telling them what to do all the time, you may as well climb in the suit yourself..

Anyway, on the subject of Vehicles, nothing really grabbed me as awesome from the list. I mean, the Devilfish is amusing, but as soon as the Stealth falls, everything goes to pot. However if I am moving my army on an assault, I will generally pack them into two of these fellows. The Drones are, again, amusing. Having five of them hiding in the dirt while an unsuspecting waaargh moves over, and springing an ambush is both amusing and deadly. They also provide great Line of Sight for your waiting firing line (and believe me, you will always have a firing line) but other than that they're nothing special. The Missile Ship I found was brilliant. The Missile bombardment is just great, especially as the computer is so fond of hoarding its troops together, and it's a great support vehicle, the only fault I have with it, is its lack of strength Vs. other Vehicles.

The Drone Spawning thingy I only bought once, and found it wasn't worth the effort. If I want drones, I'll buy a squad, thank you. And the Hammerhead or whatever it's called was so flimsy that a squad of Ork boyz took it down before I even realized I was under attack (says alot about Duff's skill, n'cest pas?). However they are sufficient to take with you on an offensive so long as you can clog them up with Kroot.

Looking at infantry, the Fire Warrior is a great squad, with a max size of 6, and two additions. Which vary between 2 more Fire Warriors (in all effect) which are supposed to be sergeants of some manner or the other, or two shield drones, or any mix between. The Shield drones I found to be entirely lacking. If my Firewarriors are going to come under fire then they deserve to die, quite frankly. And if I am developing God complex in this game then it's about fething time too.

Moving on, the Kroot Carnivores are the meat-shield of the army and they fill the roll spiffingly. Mixing the Furious Charge of the Grey Knights and the pathetic close combat skills of a bunch of cultists, they usually manage to keep the hoards at bay while your shooty death goes about its business. The cannibalize ability keeps the health of your squads up, and up, and up. Eventually you get +250 health per Kroot, and ontop of that, a Shaper will send this total even higher. The soul reason of this unit is to buy time, and they do it perfectly, I can't complain, as much as I want to.

The Path finder has a huge line of sight, and as well they might. I feel they would benefit from having some manner of stealth so I could actually send them beyond my front lines but they don't. So they hug the Fire Warriors for protection when the metaphorical hits the fan, as their armour and weaponry is no better than Marine Scouts.

The Crisis Suits, as noted above, are strictly a case of "meh". They are Tau's answer to Anti-Tank and they're nothing special in this role. On the occasions I am playing Orks, I soon find myself being swamped by artillery from War Traks, it takes a good three shots to take each one down and the cool-down of the rail-guns is frankly a-word-to-rude-to-write. So, again, to balance this you'd need more, but at 3 pop cap a shot, I'd rather just swamp it with Fire Warriors.

The Tau Hero, who's name escapes me. So I am going to look it up in my Uplifting Primer.

Nope, even that gives it no mention. Well, anyway. The Tau Hero is unique in so much as he has no close combat attacks. Or rather, his close combat attacks are ranged, shiny animations including Matrix-esque leaps into the air and hailing the ground with bullets and plasma fire. Which is all well and good, if only his ranged attacks were anything more than laughable. I mean, I am only so far into the campaign, and I have the Flamer and the upgraded Pulse-rifle, but I find the firepower isn't anything to write home about. So I won't.

The Special Abilities include a snare trap, which is... meh, again. It's a handy thing to have against armies that rely on elite infantry. But against Eldar, or Orks, or Guard, it just isn't worth deploying. The "Target acquired" ability is simply a one-shot high-damage ability, which requires the pedantic searching of the mass of greenskins to find something worth shooting at. Often I find myself without time so I simply click and watch the random slogger bleed his last.

Then beyond that there's some other Crisis Suit that you can only take at the end of the tree. I think it's supposed to be Tau's answer to the Terminator. But it suffers from the same problem as the other suit, in that what you get doesn't merit what you spend on.

Tau have a different, but not unique, tech-tree. You have your HQ, then you build another building which allows you to build all the other buildings, except you have a choice of two buildings which then give you access to the same building eventually but you get shiny-stuff from it.

Frankly it's rather silly.

The end building is a rather let down, in so much as you get to build one of these famed 'Ethereals' that the Fire warriors have been flogging themselves with ever since I first left-clicked on one. Supposedly, the Ethereal allows all Tau units on the board a boost in fire power and what have you, much like the Eldar Avatar, except I haven't really noticed much. I admit I have seen -some- change in so much as my lines of shooty death are a bit more officiant. I am lucky in so far as my Ethereal hasn't died on me, because apparently all Tau receive a major decrease in their stats for a 'short' time.

To sum up, Tau are a nice army. If you like defending, which, sadly for me, I do. So long as you use all the units and balance the cons with other unit's pros you shouldn't have a hard time with them. Most of the buildings are useless, and you don't get any turrets or mines.

My main gripe with Tau is that they are entirely rushable. If a basic, and I mean basic, close combat unit comes and rushes me I am rather up the proverbial creek with no paddle or, indeed, shore in sight. I have found some games I just cannot simply win. I mean, against Eldar I was against 4-5 squads of Banshees and a Seer council which all sums up to close-combat -DEATH- and I can't compete against that with my two squad of Kroot. Artillery is also a pain in the bum because for all the long range I have it appears that I would much rather shoot the sky with it.

But clearly there must be something that keeps me playing them or I would have simply given up.

Oh, that's right. I like defending.

Sigh. I wonder how long I can keep it up before going back to Marines... or atleast until I can get Soulstorm and try Dark Eldar, which, in the demo, I loved.

Still, you can all go back to lurking the forums now. And if you made it to the bottom, then, thank you for baring with me. Now go away.

-D
Dufflious
Clan Mod

Postby ArchDuke of Macragge » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:49 pm

Well, the Tau commander really shines when you buy the fusion gun + missile pod + Plasma rifle. It can take down tanks, then. For melee, I've always found the Greater Knarloc just fine.
ArchDuke of Macragge
Ultra Fan

Postby Que Dan » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:33 am

Que Dan
Ultra Fan

Postby ArchDuke of Macragge » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:13 pm

ArchDuke of Macragge
Ultra Fan

Postby Dufflious » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:47 pm

Dufflious
Clan Mod

Postby ArchDuke of Macragge » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:40 pm

The ethereal is fine until he dies, at which point EVERY Tau unit in your army breaks, for about 10 minutes.
ArchDuke of Macragge
Ultra Fan

Postby GIR » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:24 am

those who fight and run away live to fight another day
GIR
Best Fan

Postby mad944 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:25 am

Wargaming should never be combined with your love life or a pot of honey.
mad944
Ultra Fan

Postby Que Dan » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:14 am

Que Dan
Ultra Fan

Postby Dufflious » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:24 am

Dufflious
Clan Mod

Return to DoW: EPS Clan