[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4684: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3830)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4686: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3830)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4687: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3830)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3830)
TSOALR - The Forum » View topic - Imperial Guard - My Thoughts

Imperial Guard - My Thoughts

Info for Dawn of War players

Moderators: Selezen, cog[nitive], Dufflious

Imperial Guard - My Thoughts

Postby Dufflious » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:09 pm

Now I quite enjoyed my Tau article earlier, so much so that I went on to try a different army. This may well be my calling. Oh well, let's get down to it.

Okay, Imperial Guard. Sadly as I write this I know it will be incredibly bias, as my Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer is lying before my on my desk, along with 3 terminators and a Marine Sergeant. Still, I'll try.

The Imperial Guard are rare in as much as their basic backbone unit, the Imperial Infantryman, can be constructed immediately. However, starting with 5 soldiers and 18-24 damage isn't exactly something you can use to rush with. As well as this, they have a crippling moral of 100. There are several upgrades you can purchase to increase this, until eventually with a Commissar and Sergeant, you can get it up to 650. Which is alot higher than most others. Later in the game, the Guard have access to two weapons, the Plasma gun and the Grenade Launcher. Both are faithful additions to the army and it depends on your playing style. If you're going against heavy infantry armies, such as Marines and their ethically questionable counterparts, then plasma guns are the obvious option. However if you're a disgusting, underhanded, tactless and sadistic player, grenade launchers are your friend.

Why do I loathe them so? Because each grenade launched throws a minimum of 3 people to their feet, for a whole 3 seconds of animation to get back to their feet. Now, the Guard can have 5 of these in a squad. 15 people = a squad. They're horrid for moral as they behave like artillery and they are not my friends. To continue.

I also think of all the armies, Imperial Guard have the best builder unit. The Techpriest is a lovable scamp, leaping from task to task. In fact, if you install the original Winter Assault, he has "hero" type armour, making him resistant to all weapons and types. Still, that was times past. He is armed with both a close combat and ranged weapon, and occupies an entire spot in a building on his own, and brandishes the weapons within with ease. To clarify;

In the Imperial Barracks, you can garrison three units. Each unit inside gets to a) fire from the building and b) has the protection of the building. Now, this can be as many as 42 men, or three men. Each squad occupies an entire unit in the building. So three techpriests can bring lasguns, plasma guns and heavy bolters to bear on their own. A handy tip, that. And that in itself makes the whole army resistant to rushing.

Once the basics are down, the barracks and two power plants, it's time to get researching. With your Research center (I am ad libbing names) you find a small wealth of research to take part in. I, myself, try to get my guardsman as strong as they can be, however when this building is down the next research tier is available.

The next tier sees, as most armies do, vehicles enter the fray. Each Motor-pool has access to the basic Chimera troop transport, which as its in game counter-part has, has lovely firing ports and a turbo laser. It's not much, and terribly fragile. However, if you mount a full assault with tanks galore, it's useful to have your troops keeping up in line with this. And somewhat amusingly you can cram 42 guardsmen inside of one. So it's laughable to drive a lone tank into the enemies base and unload them.

Beyond that, you have to research to be able to build the noble Sentinel, which is a flexible anti-tank unit which can un-cap strategic points, the fearsome immolator which is probably the only effective flame unit in the game, not including the Sisters of Battle, as I have yet to -see- them. As well as this, you have the Basilisk which has a fearsome range, and an even more fearsome earthshaker round, and the Leman Russ which comes late game.

The tanks and infantry are incredibly static, and my complaint with Guard is that there is very little change in your set up. For example, I have tried using an all-guard army and watched it get brutally slaughtered by a lone defiler. Then again I have used two Guard squads and a basilisk and had no problems against the same foe. Balance and support, while are a challenge to master, are also frighteningly dull.

Other units are available, don't get me wrong. For example, there's the assassin, which once used to be feared but now is comparative to an old biddy on a zimmer frame, on top of which she's using a large gun, however she can't use the scope on it too often because it might make the gun too hot.

Commissars, Psykers, Priests and what have you add an interesting level of customization, one I often overlook because I am too busy ordering my commissars to shoot people for daring to disobey my authoritarian rule. Priests are rather akin to Leeroy Jenkins, and I feel incredibly nerdy for bringing him up, in that they run in and feel they can take the world on. And while their ability for a brief stage of immortality allows them this, it is by all means, brief.

Ogryns and Kasakin are all well and good however they have since been capped. And Kasarkin are not really worth the effort when they break as fast as a guardsman. Ogryns are good shock troops and are good for holding up the enemy advance, but, again, limited.

The Baneblade has had the fanboys of the Imperial Guard offering parts of themselves to the Immortal Emperor as tribute but I don't see what all the fuss is about. I mean for one thing, all those guns rarely amount to much because the brute is too big and you can't get it through your building layout. You have to plan ahead in future games so you can get the thing out and to some level of use. And while the massive explosions are nice and pretty, once the dust has cleared the monolith you were blasting to bits is still in one piece, the only change is a micro-meter of the health is now missing. True enough, it's a rather useful Jack-of-all-trades when you're too lazy to micromanage your army, build one of these and it will see you right all the way through. However I always wanted my Baneblade to be a bit more like the Land Raider, suited to its job, and as if it wasn't deadly enough, it was full of 9 foot, 10 inch thick armour wearing lunatics with hammers Thor himself wouldn't mind owning.

Maybe I'm too cynical for looking at the Guard as if they should be marines. But then again, that having been said I can imagine the Imperial Guard and the Space Marines would make great allies. So long as the Guard player doesn't mind being the Marine player's pet. Guard have a handy scanner ability which, when playing, I couldn't help notice that I could squeeze a few drop-pods into.

In conclusion, the Guard are by all means a 'nice' army, I just feel that, as lovable and amusing the units are, they're too static. It's as if one of the Game Designers walked in and went "Hm, alright, this is how I play. I am going to make this race based on what -I- want it to do" and the Quality-Testers at THQ were having a fag-break when it slipped through.

So much so that I think Guard have been the most heavily patched army since release. People used to get -kicked- from games for playing guard, now they feel like some decorative swords above the mantle. Pretty to look at, but if someone's breaking into my house, I for one would rather have a bolter and lots of ammo.

-D
Dufflious
Clan Mod

Postby ArchDuke of Macragge » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:44 pm

I used to love the guard, until the fething caps kicked in. Since you can only have 2 russes I assume they want the basilisk to be the main battle tank, but you can only have three, so....

The special infantry caps really tick me off. In Dark Crusade, they decided that every race should have two 0-1 special infantry, reguardless of the quality of those troops. Now, Kasrkin are just awful. The cost of building a barracks that can build them is just wasteful.

Finally, the guard don't have a quick detector unit. I'm tired of getting a stealth suit standing in the CENTER of my base for the first ten minutes of the game
ArchDuke of Macragge
Ultra Fan

Postby Que Dan » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:39 am

Que Dan
Ultra Fan

Postby Dufflious » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:47 am

Dufflious
Clan Mod

Return to DoW: EPS Clan